Question Flying an Apache

• Eric Parks
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
27 Jan 2023 18:33 #3808 by Eric Parks
Replied by Eric Parks on topic Flying an Apache

At the end of a LONG upgrade project Annie the Apache apparently decided she wanted a little more attention for the new year. A nose job to be specific. So of course I had to comply! On test flying my Apache after the upgrade work on the panel it became obvious that something wasn't right with the nose gear. And nose gear issues can become EXPENSIVE, especially on a twin. So Annie got her nose job. This pic is pulling the rest of the parts off the nose gear to repair the issues.

This pic is my mechanic buddy putting everything back together. Notice the heater in the background as it's January in North Carolina! We believe we now have repaired all the issues and at this point we will be ready to service the hydrualics and run the gear tests. Hopefully Annie is happy with her nose job!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Eric Parks
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
26 Dec 2022 17:38 #3759 by Eric Parks
The nosegear microswitch was successfully replaced (easy once we could locate the proper part and get it shipped!). On test flying our work the gear and flaps were slow to operate compared to what we had seen previously. We got Down, 3 green (or green All Up) but the gear handle wasn't always "popping" to the neutral position on it's own as it normally does. Same for flaps. We worked the flaps on the ground and it seemed to improve but still not where we wanted it. After three times around the pattern we decided we need to trouble shoot the hydraulics. So the Apache continues to play "whack-a-mole" with us by starting another problem as soon as we solve a different one. But we're getting closer!

On a good note; Santa brought me a BatteryMinder for my Apache's Concorde battery. The battery charger is designed just for Concorde batteries and I hope it will help my battery have a much longer life than the previous two batteries. Thanks Santa!

The charger attaches to the GPU port.

Lots of info on the charger and I like knowing what it's doing.
Attachments:

• Eric Parks
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
02 Dec 2022 14:52 - 02 Dec 2022 14:53 #3728 by Eric Parks
Of course as soon as my mechanic leaves town the awaited part shows up on my doorstep.
I never got a box that said "Boeing" before but it looks impressive!

The part that was sent has yet ANOTHER part number on it that I am checking. My mechanic says it LOOKS like the correct part so we'll see. At this point I'm ready just to stick this microswitch in and call it good but I really do want everything to work properly.
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Dec 2022 14:53 by Eric Parks.

• Eric Parks
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
01 Dec 2022 17:39 #3727 by Eric Parks

The nose gear microswitch "mini-disaster" continues. We ordered the part from SkyGeeks but after a week we still haven't gotten it. So I guess I can blame "supply chain"...

We tried a second "salvage" switch but it didn't work either. So at this point we have the plane ready to fly minus one microswitch. Unfortunately my mechanic is going to Florida for a family visit just as I am getting my time off as well. So we will be driving one more time!

(Notice the hangar is slowly getting less cluttered as the plane comes back together!)
Attachments:

• Eric Parks
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
25 Nov 2022 11:15 - 25 Nov 2022 13:44 #3712 by Eric Parks
A new "mini-disaster" for the Apache. We knew we had to replace the lighting rheostat and we have that about half done. However, on the test flight we had a random gear unsafe horn. So after finishing flying we checked the horn. Turns out we have a bad microswitch on the nosegear. Trying to locate one now (over Thanksgiving weekend!). If we don't get it by Tuesday my mechanic is out of town for two weeks and obviously I am planning some flying during that time period. So....

If anyone knows who I could contact for an Apache nosegear microswitch part # BZ-7RQ31T1 I appreciate it!

*edit* I was able to get ahold of SkyGeek and they provided an alternate part number of SGP-45801 and they have them in stock. So I hope we can cancel the emergency! Also, I asked my mechanic to see if the extra gear leg I have as a salvage that came with the plane has a microswitch that matches. He is checking on that.

*2nd edit* Salvage part wasn't going to work. So we have ordered part from SkyGeek. Hopefully we can get this done before mechanic goes to Florida. We are still working on the rheostat.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2022 13:44 by Eric Parks.

• Eric Parks
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
21 Nov 2022 17:46 - 21 Nov 2022 17:53 #3708 by Eric Parks
The Apache finally flew again today. At least it was perfect weather - cool, clear and calm!

We did one quick trip around the pattern. Had a little "electrical" smell. Unable to find the issue but tied off more wires then flew another 3 patterns with no issue. We need to figure out the screens on the G2 GEM but otherwise it looks good.

Checking plane over after first pattern.

Happy to have a plane flying again! My buddy will be getting his 182RG flying in the next month or two. His plane has been down 2 years as he has rebuilt the entire interior. (edit: I have no idea why the pic is upsidedown. No, we didn't do aerobatics!)
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Nov 2022 17:53 by Eric Parks.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds