× Welcome to the Piper Flyer forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Question Introduction - New Owner, New Pilot, New Here

More
30 Nov 2022 08:12 #3720 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Introduction - New Owner, New Pilot, New Here
Hi Alyssa;
My go to place for Piper strut packing kits is McFarlane Aviation. www.mcfarlaneaviation.com.
It's worth it to completely repack the strut; I've seen it where just a couple of o rings are replaced and that is more like a band aid than a complete repair.
Keep in touch.
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Alyssa Miller
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
29 Nov 2022 15:51 #3719 by Alyssa Miller
Replied by Alyssa Miller on topic Introduction - New Owner, New Pilot, New Here
Oh awesome, thanks for the reply. Sorry with holidays and my check ride (that I just passed yesterday btw) I haven't been back here in a little bit. A few answers to your questions. I am based at KETB (West Bend, WI) and I do have a hangar, a T-Hangar that I rent from the FBO.

I bought the plane at the end of August from a local seller. The plane spent most of it's life in Arizona, initially as a flight school plane (first 1,600 hours) and then privately owned. The guy I bought it from took it to Florida where he had it for about 8 months before he moved up here to WI. I bought it from him with about 4,500TT and the engine about 550h SFOH. It's pretty well cared for, traditional steam gauges and a lackluster panel except for the Stratus ESG with installed 3i receiver. It comes up for annual this December so I'll be getting all the little squawk list issues dealt with as well and once I know what budget I have left, I plan to start upgrading the panel. An audio panel and GPS/Nav/Com are tops on my list.

I posted a public album on here with some pics (www.piperflyer.org/community/photos/album.html?albumid=428). Right now she's going back into the shop because of a leak in the right main gear strut. Doesn't hold air for more than a day or so. The shop had to fill it the yesterday morning before my check ride to make sure I'd get through.

Anyway, appreciate the responses and looking forward to learning from all the great folks here.

More
11 Nov 2022 15:27 #3700 by Jen D
Welcome, Alyssa! Let us know if we can help with anything.
Jennifer Dellenbusch

More
10 Nov 2022 20:42 #3699 by Eric Parks
Replied by Eric Parks on topic Introduction - New Owner, New Pilot, New Here
Alyssa,

The Cherokee 180 is a great "starter" plane or just a great plane. My father, who was a Navy pilot and airline pilot bought the Cherokee 180 as his first plane. I enjoyed that one and I got to fly Warriors and Archers later as a CFI and charter pilot. So the Cherokee has a permanent place in my heart. Keep flying as you are doing!

Eric

More
10 Nov 2022 13:59 #3698 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Introduction - New Owner, New Pilot, New Here
Hi Alyssa;
Welcome to Piper Flyer and the Piper Flyer forum.
You're the perfect age to start flying. It's a magical experience that you will grow to love.
This is where you'll post questions about everything flying your Piper PA 28 180. My name is Steve; I'll be the guy on here that will work to answer your questions. I fly a 1960 Comanche with the same engine you have in your PA 28, so I have a good knowledge of most of the issues that may happen forward of the firewall.
As you explore the Piper Flyer home page, I suggest you click on the "Magazine" tab. There you'll find a large selection of past issues that you can download as pdfs, after clicking on the cover page of any one issue in the year.
You'll also find a "Article Archives" tab--there you'll find a wide range of articles on maintenance and servicing your and other Piper airplanes.
Tell me a little more about your airplane. Where are you based? Can you hangar your airplane? Please post pictures of your airplane and the instrument panel.
When you post a question here, it will help me a great deal if you remind me of your airplane and post either the aircraft serial number or the N number.
Best,
Good luck in your test.
S

• Alyssa Miller
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
10 Nov 2022 09:04 #3697 by Alyssa Miller
Introduction - New Owner, New Pilot, New Here was created by Alyssa Miller
Quick introduction since I just joined. 45 year-old student pilot, finally making a life long dream a reality. Started training in April in my local airport's C172s but bought my own plane, a 1968 Cherokee 180D (PA-28-180), shortly after I started solo'ing in August. I've got about 83 hours of total time as of writing this, many of those are solo. Easy to build up lots of time when you have your own plane, love flying, and are endorsed for solo :) Waiting to hear back from the DPE regarding scheduling my check ride so hopefully (Wisconsin weather permitting) will have that done before the end of the year.

Anyway, found PFA while searching for information on the fuel drain valve for my plane (got a leaky one on the right tank). Seems like a great place with some super helpful folks and plenty of good info. So yeah...um...hello everyone.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds