× Welcome to the Piper Flyer forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Question Introduction - New Owner, New Pilot, New Here

More
22 Dec 2022 09:15 #3746 by Nicholas Geber
Replied by Nicholas Geber on topic Introduction - New Owner, New Pilot, New Here
Hello! New member here in Las Vegas. Proud owner of N365NG a 1968 Cherokee 235 C.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2022 09:42 #3745 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Introduction - New Owner, New Pilot, New Here
Hi Christopher;
My go-to sources for Piper strut packing kits—the same kit works for all 3 struts on your Cherokee—is McFarlane Aviation. www.mcfarlaneaviation.com . The kits cost around $20 each.
They can also be purchased from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty (www.aircraftspruce.com) and other aircraft supply houses.
I suggest you go ahead a buy three; at some point all of the struts will need complete rebuilds.
I suggest you bite the bullet and completely repack the struts; there's a good chance they haven't been completely disassembled, cleaned and rebuild for years, maybe decades.
The Granville strut seal may work for a while but in my opinion it's similar to just replacing the easy to replace o-rings in that it's more like a band aid than a complete repair.
You might want to ask you mechanic to comply with Piper Service Bulletin SB1385A, an inspection to determine if there's any wear in the main landing gear leg connections.
I've attached the SB.
Steve

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

• Christopher Younger
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
15 Dec 2022 16:21 #3744 by Christopher Younger
Replied by Christopher Younger on topic Introduction - New Owner, New Pilot, New Here
Late welcome, Alyssa!

I've been lurking on this thread as my 235 came to me with similar squawks. My fuel quick drain on one of my tip tanks is finicky and leaky and you really have to play with it to seal after draining fuel. I first tried just cleaning my quick drains (they were filthy!) I purchased a couple of new CCA-1550 Curtis drains but haven't installed them yet (had a mess draining fuel, so flying to burn the fuel out a bit). Install looks easy enough, I have the special socket for the CCA-1550 as well as the sealant for the new quick drain thread. I'll see how a new one goes.

The other is the main struts. I had them both serviced as soon as I got the plane because they were collapsing to full compression during taxi. One of them still seems "leaky" (a little dried strut juice from the left main strut service port on top of the wing after every flight). I want to try Granville's next. The A&P that serviced them didn't want to use it (!), so I'm going to go to another A&P that will. :/ After that, full rebuild would be the next step.

I will say, after the mains were serviced, they feel like landing on pillows now. So that's good, right?

I'm kinda in the same spot you are. Got my ticket back in March, bought my 235 and now building hours while studying for IFR. Best time I've had since I learning to SCUBA dive. ;)

Enjoy the plane!

More
08 Dec 2022 08:44 #3731 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Introduction - New Owner, New Pilot, New Here
Hi Alyssa;
I'm pretty sure the strut will have to be completely disassembled so that all the seals, including the hard to get at one can be replaced with new.
It's very common to just replace the two bottom O-rings and if they're worn that will be enough, but at some point the hard to get at one will need to be replaced.
I have a question for you.
Based on your response to the engine pre heating question, I'm assuming you're not new to the airplane ownership game--your references to Lycoming suggestions gave you away.
Jen, the editor/owner of Piper Flyer is always looking for reader written stories. If you'd like to write a story on any subject related to your airplane ownership, or previous flying adventures that may have lead you to owner ship, or why you picked the airplane you picked, or what you like best about your airplane or private flying, I'd like to encourage you.
99% of the photos that accompany my articles are taken with my iPhone 11 so any new photos you want to include will be easy to get; older photos can be digitized--I use an iPhone app called Slidescan for slides or Photoscan for prints.
Your writing seems clear and concise so in my mind you're all set.
S

More
01 Dec 2022 17:33 #3726 by Eric Parks
Replied by Eric Parks on topic Introduction - New Owner, New Pilot, New Here
We have had good luck with Granvilles Strut Seal (check on Aircraft Spruce). It has done a good job of getting seals to stop leaking for us. Of course it doesn't do miracles but if the seal is just not quite working the Granvilles may get it working.

• Alyssa Miller
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
01 Dec 2022 09:11 #3725 by Alyssa Miller
Replied by Alyssa Miller on topic Introduction - New Owner, New Pilot, New Here
That's exactly what they tried first. They basically did all the items they could without pulling the full strut (including replacing the valve) just to try to fix it quick since they knew my check ride was coming. Unfortunately, from what they told me there is one seal they can't do that way and of course it seems that's the seal that's leaking. Hoping they get it in the shop before the end of this week cuz I'd really like to take my first passenger flying this weekend :)

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds